}

Friday, March 30, 2007

Now I’m a guest

I posted my first podcast episode, then the next day I was a guest for the first time on someone else’s podcast. You gotta love this “new media”.


One of my favourite podcasters [the podcast is now gone] records a group discussion every week. The guests are podcasters, bloggers or sometimes other people (usually with some sort of “web presence”). The discussion is split into two shows posted on Thursday and Friday.

[The podcaster
asked me to join the group show but, frankly, we weren’t sure how well Skype would work for this (I'd heard that Skype was a bit dodgy when used internationally from New Zealand). We tried it, and it worked very well. So, I’m part of this week’s group. The first part, "Outing Gay People", is out now (the second part will probably be uploaded sometime after
9pm tonight, New Zealand time). [neither episode is available any more]

It was a great experience. The podcaster is a really good host (and no, not just because he invited me to join…). As a listener, I’ve noticed he keeps the discussion moving and interesting. And he’s always entertaining on his solo podcasts, too.

It was also fun to interact in real time with guys who had previously been only recorded voices to me. Before then, I’d only interacted with any of them through comments, emails or sometimes an online chat.

Also, Mike Hipp of Podcast Soup covered my first episode (and this guest episode). I highly recommend his site. I’ve tired out several podcasts I’ve seen listed there, so I think it’s a great place to find some new ones to listen to. I also find Mike’s synopses to be really helpful (I first listened to Feast of Fools, for example, because of his synopsis).

In the weeks ahead I may pop up on other podcasts, and I plan to eventually have guests on my own, though that’s probably still several weeks away. In the meantime, my ordinary schedule for posting new episodes of my podcast will be on Fridays (New Zealand time)—except the next episode. Friday next week is a public holiday, so my next podcast will be Thursday or earlier (I can’t be any more specific because next week is the busiest week of the month for work). When it’s released, the show notes will be here.

Thanks to everyone who's listened to my first podcast! Always feel free leave comments about anything in my shows or on this blog. To me, that's what all this new media is all about.

Update: The second espisode was posted, but is no longer available. I talked a bit more on that one, mostly about New Zealand.

No comments: