}

Friday, July 27, 2007

AmeriNZ # 29 – Race

Episode 29 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.

To understand New Zealand, you need to understand that it’s a bicultural country within a multicultural society. This all comes about because of listener comments, which is where I begin this episode (after introducing probably the most common phrase in Te Reo Maori, Kia Ora). I compare and contrast race relations in New Zealand with those of the US and Australia, and I provide an historical context by reading an excerpt from Americans and Maori during World War 2. I haven’t personally seen the sort of racism in New Zealand that I’ve seen in America, but that certainly doesn’t mean that there aren’t issues to be dealt with here.

A special guest will on the Tuesday episode.


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

4 comments:

lost in france said...

I will have to try it on your MySpace page. I am a podcast neophyte! By the way, do you just copy your blog entries here and paste them on your MySpace blog or is there a better way?

Anonymous said...

Interesting talk about race. Maybe I missed it but were there at one time any laws against Maori having relationships or marrying Kiwis? At one time in the US blacks could not marry whites. I was just wondering if there were laws like that in NZ.

Arthur Schenck said...

LiF: Yes, I do cut and paste, but what I also do is write the post using word processing software which allows me to ad the links in advance. There's a slight difference between the two blog posts, and I only put podcast blog posts on MySpace. However, I'm sure a 12-year-old would have a better solution.

Archerr: As far as I know, there were never laws like that in New Zealand. I'd doubt there were, though, because that sort of thing isn't part of British heritage, and because there's such a long history of inter-marriage.

Kalv1n said...

You know, I found this rather strange. I would think that the comparison to the federal government going to the black neighborhoods wouldn't be quite as precise as to the federal government going on to American Indian reservations. And quite honestly, there is a massive problem with the sexual assault of American Indian women (it's much higher than the rate of any other group). Particularly of problem is that the tribal governments can only impose small punishments, and the state says that it doesn't have authority and the feds don't want to get involved! Do you know if Maori have their own independent/dependent sovereigns?