}

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Every queen’s birthday

This is Queen’s Birthday, the last public holiday until Labour Weekend at the end of October. So, I’m spending time with Nigel and the family.

Tomorrow, the National-led government will announce the “Queen’s Birthday Honours List,” including the first knights and dames since their ill-advised restoration of knighthoods after National won power in the last election. I don’t expect to take any notice of the list, which isn’t unusual.

Right now, I’m more concerned about the “sub-Antarctic blast” bringing frigid temperatures to most of the North Island, including us. Late this afternoon, the temperature dropped about four degrees (Celsius, of course) in a matter of minutes.

And the title of this post? Apparently this weekend used to be huge on the gay calendar in New Zealand, with Sunday of Queen’s Birthday Weekend an especially big day in the gay pubs and clubs. I never experienced any of that, and have no idea what it’s like now. But it’s always fun to have a second birthday.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

39 degrees F? Sorry, no sympathy. (We North Americans in the snow belt are just MEAN, I tell you, MEAN!)
BTW, I'm listening to Split Enz's True Colors - the one w I Got You and Nobody Takes Me Seriously. For some reason, thought of you and the Spatula Forum guy.

Arthur Schenck said...

The past couple nights it's been around 2 (35.6 in American temperature) for both me and the Spatula guy. Does that make you feel more at home?

Speaking of him, I certainly wouldn't speak for him, but could it be the make-up that makes you think of us?