}

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend Diversion: Tall Jan



This Australian TV commercial has been running here for the past year or so, and it’s still one of our favourites; even though I don’t eat the cereal, I like the commercial. This version is identical to what’s being played on New Zealand television, except the end frame of ours has a New Zealand announcer instead of an Australian one. There’s a slightly longer version (called a “Director’s Cut”—who’d have guessed a TV commercial could have one?), but I’ve never seen it played on NZ television. At any rate, this is just a non-malicious slice of life in this part of the world.

4 comments:

Scotty H said...

wow; love the new look of Amerinz arthur.
(it might not be new; but i never bother going to blogs).

yep. this ad is great!!
but can the New Zilanders understand the Aussie accent?

Arthur Schenck said...

Thanks! I changed the header for my second blogoversary, and I'm always tinkering with other bits and pieces. I have more things planned…

Actually, for the benefit of my non-Antipodean readers, the Aussie accents among the actors are pretty mild; the announcer at the end is full-on Aussie, though (listen for the words "believe" and, especially, "taste"). That's probably why they used a Kiwi accent for our version. Mind you, we hear Aussies all the time on our TVs.

LordBryonIL said...

My midwestern US ears heard "toe jam is delicious" could that be why Tall Jan got so offended? (guffaw) Good clip!

Arthur Schenck said...

Eeeww!