}

Monday, January 25, 2010

NZ radio host comes out on air



Mike Puru, a radio host and former children’s TV presenter, told the nationwide audience of The Edge FM’s “Morning Madhouse” that he’s gay. Quite literally, that’s not something you hear every day.

I’m not all that familiar with Mike’s work, though I’m sure that I’ve seen him on TV (and I think he was the emcee at the NZ Premier of "Star Trek", though I don’t remember for sure). Come to think of it, maybe I should’ve had an inkling when he was in the NZ version of the Lily Allen “Fuck You” video collaboration…

Seriously, congratulations and, now that you’re officially out, welcome to the family!

Update: GayNZ.com published an interview with Mike in which he says the feedback’s “been 99.99% positive”. They had one religious nut say they wouldn’t listen any more, but, according to Mike, “my boss said we don’t need those people listening anyway.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Arthur, I love The Edge radio station and I listen to their podcasts online as I'm currently doing my OE in the UK. I had no idea that Mike was gay so it was quite a surprise. I'm so happy for him and thanks for posting the video to it.

- Sue

P.S. Mike was also a presenter for a TV show called Flipside that used to come on every weekday afternoon

Anonymous said...

Oh and if you want to hear what was being said when his co-host accidentally outed him (as it's not clear on the video) here's the link to the podcast - http://podcastnz.com/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=410

- Sue

Arthur Schenck said...

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it this morning, and it makes MUCH more sense when you can hear what they're talking about. Thanks again!