}

Monday, February 22, 2010

An Auckland summer night

This past Saturday night, we went to our niece’s 21st birthday party. Such parties are a big deal in New Zealand: A rite of passage that’s kind of orphaned now, with the voting and drinking ages both 18. Nevertheless, families and friends gather to celebrate that particular birthday. It was held exactly a week after we celebrated one of my sister-in-law’s 50th birthday party.

Her mum, Nigel’s sister, planned it as a surprise and held it at a local rugby league club. This has the advantage of there being bar service and security, neither of which would be true if she’d rented a community hall or something similar, as many people do. The best part was, though, that we didn’t have to go back the next day to clean up (that was also included).

It was a great night with family and her friends. I thought it was especially interesting to hear how highly her friends think of her. They should, of course, but I suppose I’m biased: She and her mum have been big parts of my life in New Zealand. She’s a great niece, and a fantastic person.

I don’t post many personal photos on my blog, basically because I won’t unless I ask the people in advance if it’s okay with them. I didn’t even ask. It wasn’t my night.

So instead, I'm including a couple photos I took looking out of the clubroom window at about 8:00pm. I’d never been up there before, they had some pretty nice views. The photo above is of Rangitoto. The photo below is looking further south, toward Takapuna, Bayswater and Devonport. North Head is also visible. Auckland City is further to the right, hidden by the palm on the right side of the photo.

We have no more family parties for several months. This is a good thing—we need a rest.

No comments: