}

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bye, Bye Frappr

One of the first “social networking” things I ever joined was Frappr, and I put a “Guest Map” on my blog. Some folks complained about it because it slowed down the speed with which the page loaded, so eventually I took it off my blog and just included a link in the sidebar.

The free Frappr Maps are now going away.

I have no idea why, but tonight I clicked on the Frappr badge on my site and found this warning:


So, I exported my data, and that meant I had to download Google Earth so I could view it (I’d never gotten around to downloading that on my Mac, but used to have it on the PC). And then I had to do a flying tour to “visit” the pins from my map. As you do.

So, that’s it: The Frappr badge is gone. It's the first time I’ve ever left a social networking site, but it won’t be the last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I looked into this when a map I visited displayed that message. At first, I too thought it was a service that had simply and sadly moved from free to fee-only. But actually, what I learned is that Frappr has made a major update to their map software, and is trying to push more of their users into using the new version.

The "classic" version is being retired except for people who are willing to pay $25/map/year. But apparently you can still re-create it as a new (non-classic) map for free. It was foolish of them to not mention that as an option there; they're probably losing quite a few users who think there isn't a free option anymore.

See Platial blog: Important Notice About Frappr

Arthur Schenck said...

Interesting, thanks. I think the whole map thing's probably run its course: When I mentioned this to a few people, they thought Frappr had gone away a long time ago. Interesting to see it hasn't.

Anonymous said...

How come I can't get into my Frappr? skip.


http://www.frappr.com/?a=myphotos&id=807470