}

Monday, May 10, 2010

Auckland is a ‘hot spot’

I didn’t know I lived in a “hot spot”, but according to Yahoo! Travel, that’s what Auckland is.

Today Yahoo! Travel posted a feature called “Affordable New Hot Spots” and subtitled “10 destinations — from Malaysia to Marseille — that fuse style, authenticity, and affordability.” Well, take that, Wellington!

Seriously, I think it was the oddest list of travel destinations I’ve seen. I have no idea if they’re ranked or not, but from top to bottom the places listed were: Langkawi, Malaysia; Marseille, France; Nanjing, China; Moravia, Czech Republic (the photo caption read “Czhech Republic”); Ko Lanta, Thailand; San Blas, Panama; El Calafate, Argentina; Auckland, New Zealand; Dakar, Senegal; Rusinga Island, Kenya (Kenya?!). I’m pretty up with the geography, but I’ve only ever heard of a few of those places, and I live in one of them. Compared with the others, I kind of wonder why Marseille and Auckland are on the list.

Answering the question “Why Go Now” the site says: “This yachting-obsessed city has more than its share of sophisticated food and art. Best of all, the exchange rate turns the city’s hotels, restaurants, and boutiques into affordable indulgences.” They then proceed to list some places at the indulgence end of the spectrum (there are places to sleep and eat in Auckland that are far more affordable than what they feature).

I always take things like this with a grain of salt, but they are a bit of fun. And I did like seeing the Auckland Harbour Bridge on the Yahoo! homepage. Oh yeah: I also get to tell people I live in a “hot spot”.

3 comments:

toujoursdan said...

Dakar?!?!?! I've been there. It's not Port Moresby fugly but nothing special.

Yes there is a music scene but if you stand out as a tourist (i.e. are White or Asian) expect to be hassled for money from the second you leave your hotel room to the second you walk back in. The "Remember me?" scam is one of the favourites. So good luck if you expect to go to a club and enjoy a performance in peace.

Now, Saint-Louis on the other hand IS nice...

Roger Owen Green said...

Have you considered the possibility that it's a hot spot BECAUSE you are there?

Arthur Schenck said...

toujoursdan: I find it a very odd list, obviously. Thanks for the links to the photos! Unfortunately, it reminds me that I haven't updated my Flicr in ages… sigh. Add that to the list…

Roger: Why, no, I hadn't considered that possibility, but it makes perfect sense to me! ;-)