}

Friday, December 24, 2010

Classic Christmas TV

What else is Christmas for but selling stuff, right? I’m kidding, I’m kidding, but presents are so often associated with Christmas that it follows that Christmas TV ads are, too. So, I thought I’d share some that still stick with me

The first two are two different versions of the same ad theme, Norelco’s “Noëlco: Even our name says Merry Christmas” ads with the Santa riding a triple header shaver. The first one is from the 1960s, the second from the 1970s. I remember the first better, but also the second. I also remember that at least one year they ran during the annual broadcast of “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and some of the elves appeared in the ad. But it was the Santa riding the triple header that made it stick in my mind for over 40 years.




The final ad is for Folger’s coffee. It was a long-running ad, and was, at the time, one of my favourites. What can I say? I’m a sentimentalist. Still, seems kinds dated now. Oh well.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I was a sucker for these ads too, esp the Folgers ad. And I don't even like coffee.

Arthur Schenck said...

When the commercial first debuted, I was dubious about coffee, but now I'm a huge fan of coffee and dubious about the commercial. Well, not really, I can still get teary at the right points.