}

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Weekend Diversion: Matt Alber


This is the first of my Weekend Diversions for June—Gay Pride Month. The song in this video is “End of the World” by Matt Alber, a song I really like. I think the video conveys the meaning of the song very well (videos don’t always, after all), and I especially like the pas de deux toward the end, which I think is particularly evocative.

In an interview with bearotic.com (the interview is work-safe, but I can’t vouch for the entire site), Alber said of the song:
“The biggest love of my life had fallen out of love with me because he thought I had fallen out of love with him. This was the saddest thing that had happened in my life romantically to date.”
I can see that. I can also see why the site was so effusive in its praise, calling the album this song is part of, the “Most Romantic Gay album ever”. While I haven’t heard the entire album, I do like what I’ve heard.

Matt tours around North America a lot, so the chance to see him live is good. Matt's website lists dates/locations, and also streams many of his songs, including this one.

I love the song, I love the video. I think that makes it a good lead-off for this month.

No comments: