}

Thursday, December 08, 2011

All they want for Christmas


I first head about this video on ABC News (USA), of all places, and I liked the idea of it (I also have to admit that, despite myself, I like Mariah Carey’s version of this song, too, and she reportedly loved this video).

The video was made by the crew of the HMS Ocean after they learned they’d be home for Christmas. This is no small thing: They’d been sent on a seven week deployment, but then Libya (among other things) happened, and they ended up unexpectedly being away from home for 7½ months—225 days, 176 of them at sea. I can imagine how happy they were to find out they’d be home for Christmas.

They also reported in the video's description the realties of their deployment as:
  • 15 babies born while the ship has been away (fathers did get home to see mum and baby)
  • 5 people were sent home so they didn't miss their own weddings.
  • 1 sailor whose son's third birthday is on homecoming. Family meeting ship
Yep, I’m really sure they’re glad to be heading home. I think it shows.

No comments: