}

Sunday, May 26, 2013

It's time, Illinois

It’s time for Illinois to enact the freedom to marry. But time to do so any time soon is running out.

The graphic above is from Illinois Unites for Marriage, a project of ACLU Illinois, Equality Illinois and Lambda Legal. Together, they’re trying to bring the freedom to marry to my native Illinois. I hope they succeed.

They said on their site’s action page:
We only have until Friday, May 31st to pass the freedom to marry. It's time, Illinois.

Passing SB10 in the House is the only hurdle that stands between Illinois becoming the 13th state where same-sex couples can share in the freedom to marry—and we only have a matter of days left to pass this crucial legislation before the General Assembly adjourns on May 31st.

Your Representative needs to hear from you every single day until marriage for same-sex couples becomes law in Illinois! Even if you've messaged them before, they need to hear from you again.
I was born in Illinois, grew up there, was educated there and became an adult there. My parents are buried there. So, I’ll always be an Illinoisan, even though I don’t live there, and regardless of whether or not I ever live there again. However, because I don’t live there, I have no say in what happens. I hope the people who do live in Illinois urge their legislators to do the right thing and vote for the freedom to marry.

It’s time, Illinois.

No comments: