}

Thursday, April 24, 2014

A tour of the British Isles in accents


The video above is a tour of the accents of the British Isles with examples spoken by dialect coach Andrew Jack (the audio is from the BBC). Posted three weeks ago, it’s already had around 1.1 million views.

The video demonstrates that there’s no such thing as a single “English Accent”, but there are, in fact, many within England itself, and many more in the British Isles generally.

This is actually true about most countries. For example, there are also regional variations in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I have no idea if there are variations in countries that don’t speak English, but I’d be surprised if there aren’t—we’re all humans, after all.

This is just a bit of fun to end the day on; after a couple earlier, heavier posts, I wanted something lighter, and YouTube delivered. Again.

2 comments:

coreplane said...

It always annoyed me, during the time I lived in England, that you could usually tell how somebody voted by their accent.

Arthur (AmeriNZ) said...

That's often thought to be true about the USA, too, but it's extremely unreliable in reality. I've known plenty of progressive Southern Democrats, for example, and election results show that in the USA, place in not always and indicator of voting behaviour. I wonder why that's not true (or wasn't, anyway) in the UK?