}

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Get up, stand up


The video above is the most recent from ASAP Science, and it talks about something I’ve been reading about for a while now: People sit too much. I mentioned that to a healthcare professional a couple years back who dismissed it out of hand. I wish I’d had this video to show her.

Humans aren’t designed to sit for hours on end, and most of us know this pretty instinctively. But there’s also a growing body of evidence as to why this is the case, and what health effects too much sitting can have on us and our bodies. This video highlights some of that.

Fortunately, there are simple solutions to help. I looked into getting a standing desk or, more accurately, one that can be used seated or standing, but they’re very expensive. So, I came up with some simpler (and cheaper) ideas, like, for example, I now stand up when I’m folding the washing.

In the video below, the guys offer nine tips to get us to stand more (and to “Save Your Life”). That video is from their other channel, ASAP Thought. The point is, there are things everyone can do, regardless of budget.

And that health professional? Well, I tuned out everything she said after she was dismissive of standing, but I’ve come to think maybe she was just having a bad day, since she’s been okay since then (although, I’ve also never mentioned standing to her again).

I guess it’s a work in progress for all of us.



Astute folks will realise that the title of this post is taken from a Bob Marley song.

2 comments:

rogerogreen said...

I am ASTUTE!

Arthur (AmeriNZ) said...

First, I would be shocked if it was otherwise, and second, I think we should always take the opportunity to claim our astute-ness.