}

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Mrs Claus and a good ad


The video above is a Christmas ad, and I love absolutely love it. A lot. It’s not for a shop here in New Zealand, but that doesn’t matter: It’s about what Christmas is supposed to be about.

The ad (long version) is for British retailer Marks & Spencer, and it plays on the story of Santa Claus, but focusing on Mrs. Claus. I like that they made her a strong, independent woman, but I especially like the focus on her doing something to help someone who needs help, someone who loves someone and needs help to make sure they have a good Christmas. Because, focusing on others is what Christmas is about.

The ad, directed by Tom Hooper, effectively uses special effects, clever editing, and good acting to convey a simple story. The humour is understated and subtle, which makes it work all the more, in my opinion.

I first saw this ad shortly after the debacle of the US election, and it made me feel better. I want to believe in a world in which good always wins, love always triumphs, and there is always something good to believe in. Despite the US election results, isn’t that something we all hope for?

No comments: